From: "Nick Bingham" <NickB(--nospam--at)QuadKnopf.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2002 10:52 AM
Subject: Wood Shear wall Aspect Ratio 1997 UBC vs 1998CBC

The 1997 UBC allows us up to 3.5:1 for Seismic zones 0,1,2, and 3, (and 4
for walls under 10')

The 1998 CBC, on page 2-38.41 indicates 2:1 as the maximum - no exceptions.

I have not worked much with the CBC. Is there an exception that I am missing
or is every new wood shear wall in California meeting the 2:1 aspect ratio?