Re: basement wall analysis

Helen,

	The analysis model is reasonable provided it reasonably represents the
"as build" site conditions; but you haven't provided enough data for me
to assess that.

	Most basement walls that I encounter span vertically from basement
floor to main floor and are designed as simple spans, pined at the top
and bottom, and of unlimited length.  The loading is triangular from
grade to basement floor with grade being about 5 feet above basement
floor.  Most residential basement walls are a) not designed by
professional engineers and b) not reinforced at all, although some
builders provide reinforcing similar to what you have specified as a
selling point.

	The construction of basement walls with concrete below grade and wood
stud walls above grade (hence, a hinge in the middle), although used
occasionally, is not the most common.  If the wall you are referring to
is (to be) built this way then your design seems to me to be quite
reasonable although the amount of reinforcing specified seems a bit
light to qualify the structure as "reinforced" concrete.

	I hope this is helpful.

				Regards,

				H. Daryl Richardson