Re: Historical Building Repair

Dear Paul:

For Historic Buildings, there is a California Historic Building Code that is applicable and allows for variances from today's codes in the interest of preservation / restoration following the Sec. of Interior's standards on historic buildings.

More info from the State Architect
http://www.dsa.dgs.ca.gov/SHBSB/shbsb_main.asp
Interpretatic Case Histories on the SHBC
http://www.californiapreservation.org/cs/index.html#toc

The case history precedent imply you should be able to restore in kind without upgrading to current standards for handrails.  Of course,  you should affirm with your local building official.

Ron Fong
fremont, CA