RE: Handy Text on Earthquake Resistant Design for Light Commercial Buildings?

Bill:

Welcome to the bleeding edge.

References I've been using to wade through the structural design
requirements for small buildings include:

1.	2000 IBC Handbook (Structural Provisions) by S.K. Gosh/R.
Chittenden
This is a fairly comprehensive running commentary on the rhyme and
reason for many of the code provisions. Does have worked problems
section.

2.	2000 IBC Structural/Seismic Design Manual - Volume 1 by
ICBO/SEAOC
Basically the same format and breath of interpretation as given for the
1997 UBC version.

And although I know you asked about seismic forces, wind load design per
ASCE is relatively new to me and the following has helped.

3.	Guide to the use of Wind Load Provisions of ASCE 7-98 by Kishor
C. Mehta and Dale C. Perry
Help for the ASCE 7 wind load neophytes (me).

Good luck, and keep on postin...

Barry H. Welliver