Re: Earth Retainer Boards

Doug Parker wrote:
Does anyone have any specification sections for earth retainer boards.  Particularly one that has precast conrete earth retainer boards as well as high density polyethylene earth retainer boards?

We have stopped specifying concrete soil retainers on most projects since the only submittals we get are for styrofoam retainers. We normally specify "Square Edge" but will accept "Plazamate" or "High Load 60" also. This is the blue rigid foam not the bead board.  This has been specified now for more than 10 years now with good results.

Here is our spec:

Soil Retainers:  Extruded polystyrene, 2" thick x 16" high x length required, equal to Dow Styrofoam "Square Edge". Retainers shall have a compressive strength of 40 psi (ASTM D1621) and a tensile strength of 60 psi (ASTM D1623).

--
Davis G. Parsons II, PE RA AEI
a practical structural engineer