From: Foy, Warren [mailto:Warren.Foy(--nospam--at)mhgrp.com]
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 10:02 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: ACI 318 section 12.2.4

Can anyone provide information regarding the alpha factor used in
determining development lengths?

Why is development length increased for bars with 12" of concrete cast below
the bar?

What constitutes 12" of concrete cast below?  Is this applicable only to
beams or does it apply to horizontal reinforcement in walls?  If applicable
to beams, is it also applicable to vertical tension bars in columns and
walls with 12" or more to the compression face?

TIA

Warren.Foy(--nospam--at)confusedRI.com

Warren S. Foy
Structural Design Manager