RE: ACI 318 section 12.2.4

I guess I'm just chiming in with what everyone else said on the
definition of "top bars":

"Top bars" (for the purposes of computing the development length) are
defined as ANY HORIZONTAL BARS PLACED SO THAT THERE IS MORE THAN 12" OF
FRESH CONCRETE BELOW THE BAR. If you had a 10 foot think mat and that
was reinforced with #11 @ 12" EW,T&B and there was 13" of clear cover
(for whatever reason - I can't think of one) between the bottom of the
mat and the bottom bars, those bottom bars would be considered "top
bars" for the purposes of computing development lengths!

If you stopped your 10 foot deep pour after placing 9 feet of concrete
(why?..the pump broke - and yes,... they stuck a whole bunch of dowels
in at the last minute and have a real rough surface to "lock" the two
pours together after they get the pump fixed), and then the next day you
placed the final (top) 12" of your mat, the top bars in the top of the
mat would NOT be considered "top bars" for the purposes of computing
development lengths (because there would be less than 12" of fresh
concrete below these bars!

Cliff