Re: Rolled Threads

Christopher

I agree that you need to go to the source.  That is why I asked for
feedback.  With regards to your statement that UC Berkeley has B1.1 I would
suggest that you check where that copy is.  I believe that you will find it
not located on the campus but at some auxillarly collection.

>All I can tell you is that A-307 requires that Grade A and B bolts meet
>ANSI B18.2. ANSI B18.2 shows that the shank dimension is not smaller that
>the major thread diameter and therefore _must_ be larger than the minor
>diameter or the diameter corresponding to the stress area. The dimensions
>are specified by ANSI B18.2 irrespective of production method. If the
>bolt doesn't meet the standard, it's ca-ca-doody-poo-poo (as we say in
>the ME biz) and to be rejected.

According to Charlie, when rolled threads are used the diameter of the
shank is midway between the major diameter and the minor diameter.

>>But if that level of perfection is required I would
>>suggest that not one structural engineer in a thousand currently fulfills
>>this ideal
>If I thought this were true, I'd be alternately laughing and
>crying--laughing when I thought that I know more than 99.9% of my peers
>or crying when I thought that 99.9% of my peers are so ignorant of basic
>information needed to practice.

I suggest that you do some research as to the actual standard of practice
is in the structural enginering profession.

Mark