Re: Rolled Threads

Nels

I like you have relied on the representation of ANSI B1.1 in the steel
manual.  It appears that they did not include some additional provisions
which allow rolled threads.

What I am hearing here is that  when rolled threads are used they start
with a slightly smaller bolt diameter.

By the way I believe that you are supporting my position that very few
structural engineers have read ANSI B1.1.

Mark Gilligan

The threaded fastener illustration on page 4-147 of the aisc 9th edition,
or
Table 7-4 of the aisc lrfd 3rd edition, refer to ANSI B1.1.  The 3rd
edition
shows the thread diameter to be db, which is noted to be the bolt diameter.
Are you saying that there are bolts with bolt diameter that is defined by
the diameter at the threads, but that have shanks that are of lesser
diameter?

Also, you seem to be saying that rolled threads will [or may] result in a
bolt that has diameter at the threads greater than the diameter at the
shank.  My understanding has been that rolled threads are applied to a rod
by forming the threads into the round rod under pressure with no loss or
addition of material, while cut threads are made by removing material, but
that both procedures result in the same finish configuration.  Are you
finding that this is not true?