RE: Promoting Structural Engineering in High Schools

Hello Mehrotra:

The software boom has probably left the field of engineering quite dry.  It
was a clear case of getting the easy fruit - with a 6 month course you could
virtually double your salary.  Only the people with a passion and interest
(people like me:)) stuck to this field.  I know many Engineers who had quit
excellent jobs to enter the software field.  Well this is a big topic which
has been discussed here on this board and various engineering magazines.

It would a "match between odds" to compete with the software field in salary
(I am not sure if that prevails now :)) but we are trying to get more
interest (from kids) at an younger age which might motivate them to pursue
structural engineering.

I would be very interested in knowing the outcome of your counseling since
it will be a major question being raised by the kids.

- Aswin
Aswin Rangaswamy, P.E.
Engineer, Structural; SHA Coffman Engineers, CA
T: 818.285.2650; F: 818.285.2651
rangaswamy(--nospam--at)sha.coffman.com
www.coffman.com