Re: Promoting Structural Engineering in High Schools

Dear Aswin

Money matters most to youngsters. The drift, towards software jobs, was in our
country predominant not only because software companies paid more but
essentially because there had been a definite glut in conventional engineering
jobs. At that tender age the engineer looks first for immediate self-dependence,
and this drives the person away from stipulated path.

We, by counselling, succeeded in putting the perspective right and could judge
the results from post session interactions. But does this always work?

Best wishes

RP Mehrotra

Aswin Rangaswamy wrote:

> Hello Mehrotra:
>
> The software boom has probably left the field of engineering quite dry.  It
> was a clear case of getting the easy fruit - with a 6 month course you could
> virtually double your salary.  Only the people with a passion and interest
> (people like me:)) stuck to this field.  I know many Engineers who had quit
> excellent jobs to enter the software field.  Well this is a big topic which
> has been discussed here on this board and various engineering magazines.
>
> It would a "match between odds" to compete with the software field in salary
> (I am not sure if that prevails now :)) but we are trying to get more
> interest (from kids) at an younger age which might motivate them to pursue
> structural engineering.
>
> I would be very interested in knowing the outcome of your counseling since
> it will be a major question being raised by the kids.
>
> - Aswin
> Aswin Rangaswamy, P.E.
> Engineer, Structural; SHA Coffman Engineers, CA
> T: 818.285.2650; F: 818.285.2651
> rangaswamy(--nospam--at)sha.coffman.com
> www.coffman.com

begin:vcard
n:Mehrotra;RP
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
email;internet:rp.mehrotra(--nospam--at)eil.co.in
fn:RP Mehrotra
end:vcard