Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: Elevated slab formwork on existing building

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next] I think what you actually mean is "styrofoam".   

"Styrofoam" is actually a registered trademark of the Dow Corning company however  it is also used as a synonymn for extruded polystyrene rigid foam insulation.

What you need is not the product typically used for insulation, however,  Dow (and other companies)  make a very dense, high-modulus, polystyrene foam board capable of supporting high loads without (measurable) deformation.  This allows you to add depth to a slab with very little weight.

The Dow Corning Product is called "High Load 100" - you can get more information at the Dow Corning web site -

Gail S. Kelley, P.E.