To: Seaint
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2002 11:13 AM
Subject: bolt bending and shear

I have an odd situation where I need to connect two members  - say back to back channels for simplicity - with bolts welded to one channel.  The channels are separated by an inch or so (held in position by loose spacers).  The bolts need to transfer shear from one channel to the other and in doing so are bent. I think this should be simple to analyze, but I am not coming up with any references that treat this condition.  I think it is similar to what must be considered for highway structures without grout, but I have not found any good examples.  I know that there may be other issues to think about here, but is it reasonable to consider the maximum tensile stress due to bending as just pure tensile stress for the bolt (ignoring that 1/2 of the bolt is in compression) and look at combined shear and tension per AISC J3.3 or is this too conservative?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts,
Ken

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.
Lehigh Valley Technical Associates