Re: Residential Garage (Help!)

I would definately not use the impact load duration. The car will certainly be parked for more than a few seconds. 2000 pound tire loads are easily acheived. My Suburban weighs 6500. The front axle is 3500, so a 2000 pound point load is very reasonable.

Can you use double joists? Will double 2x12's work in place of the 4x10?

>>> ASQENGG2(--nospam--at)aol.com 03/27/02 11:43AM >>>
I need your help!  I am designing wooden joists to carry residential garage. Based on UBC 1607.3.3, the floor system shall be designed for concentrated load of 2000 lbs. on an area of 20 sq.inches without uniform live load.  With a span of 7 ft., I came up with a size of 4x10. But the architect wants me to use maximum size of 2x12. Can I still reduce the 2000 lbs. load? Can I also use load duration factor for Impact of 2.0 instead of occupancy load of 1.0 ?

Thanks in advance,

ASQ