From: ASQENGG2(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:ASQENGG2(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 9:43 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Residential Garage (Help!)

I need your help!  I am designing wooden joists to carry residential garage.
Based on UBC 1607.3.3, the floor system shall be designed for concentrated
load of 2000 lbs. on an area of 20 sq.inches without uniform live load.
With a span of 7 ft., I came up with a size of 4x10. But the architect wants
me to use maximum size of 2x12. Can I still reduce the 2000 lbs. load? Can I
also use load duration factor for Impact of 2.0 instead of occupancy load of
1.0 ?

Thanks in advance,

ASQ