RE: Residential Garage (Help!)

First, no you can't reduce the load.

Try using a manufactured wood product, like a wood I-beam or Laminated
Veneer Lumber (LVL).  Manufacturers include "TrusJoist" www.tjm.com and
Willamette Industries www.wii.com/ewp.htm .

I-Joists are comparably priced with dimension lumber and are slightly
stronger (usually).  LVL's are much more expensive, but are much stronger.
If doubling the 2x12's will work, then that's probably the way to go.

Make sure the decking can span between the joists.  Also, if you're using
the 1.15% increase factor for repetitive members less than 24" o.c., make
sure the deck is strong and stiff enough to transfer load to adjacent
joists.

Finally, can you use a wood floor in a garage?  Isn't there some sort of
fire-code issue surrounding this?  I'm picturing oil leaking out of a
vehicle and soaking into the wood floor.

-----
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, L.L.C.
(816) 444-3144