Re: Residential Garage (Help!)

The 2000 lb load is distributed over 2.5 feet square, that gives you a
distribution of 800 lb per ft, if your spacing is 16 inches on center, use
the 16/12 factor.  Based on my experience, the 2x12 joist should work  just
fine for the 7 ft span.
You must check shear and deflection criteria also, not to allow any ponding
in a garage floor.
Hope this helps.
Samir Y. Ghosn, P.E.
Harris & Associates.
(800)827-4901 xt 360

   At 11:43 AM 3/27/2002 EST, you wrote:
>I need your help!  I am designing wooden joists to carry residential
garage. Based on UBC 1607.3.3, the floor system shall be designed for
concentrated load of 2000 lbs. on an area of 20 sq.inches without uniform
live load.  With a span of 7 ft., I came up with a size of 4x10. But the
architect wants me to use maximum size of 2x12. Can I still reduce the 2000
lbs. load? Can I also use load duration factor for Impact of 2.0 instead of
occupancy load of 1.0 ?