Re: Residential Garage (Help!)

Oops, Your load is more like 1200 #/ft, not 800 #/ft as I stated in Prior
post.  Your are correct, the 2000 lb is based on 20 inches sqauare, giving
an area of 2.77 square feet to distribute the load.

Samir Ghosn, P.E.
Harris & Associates

At 11:43 AM 3/27/2002 EST, you wrote:
>I need your help!  I am designing wooden joists to carry residential
garage. Based on UBC 1607.3.3, the floor system shall be designed for
concentrated load of 2000 lbs. on an area of 20 sq.inches without uniform
live load.  With a span of 7 ft., I came up with a size of 4x10. But the
architect wants me to use maximum size of 2x12. Can I still reduce the 2000
lbs. load? Can I also use load duration factor for Impact of 2.0 instead of
occupancy load of 1.0 ?