From: ASQENGG2(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:ASQENGG2(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 5:05 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Residential Garage (Help!)

This is in response to Shamir Ghosn and others who respond to my posting.

Am I reading 1607.3.3 correctly ? It says parking garages for storage of
private or pleasure-type motor vehicle with no repair or refueling shall
have a floor system designed for a concentrated load of not less than 2000
lbs acting on an area of 20 sq. inches. 20 sq. inches is only 4.5 in. square
so that all the 2000 lbs will be concentrated solely to one floor joist. If
it says 20 in. square then I would have distributed it to 2.78 sq.ft area as
per Shamir suggested. Please respond.

The garage floor, by the way, will be finished with 3" (ave.) light weight
concrete and sloped to drain toward the entrance of the garage.

Thanks a lot to those who responded.

ASQ, P.E.