Re: Residential Garage (Help!)

The way the code reads is "on an area of 20 square inches" not "on an
area of 20 inches square".  There is a big difference between the two.
In addition, if you think of the tire contact area on the floor for a
properly inflated tire, the 4 1/2" by 4 1/2" area is quite reasonable.
The second part is that the floor in question is a wood system with a
relatively thin concrete topping where punching through the topping and
sheathing will be important.  The point load would need to be considered
to act on a joist with little or no load shearing to adjacent joists.

--
Forrest T. Braun, P.E.