RE: Residential Garage (Help!)

A 2000 lb concentrated wheel load was specified in Section 2302(a) of the
1970 UBC.  Apparently the 20 in2 area was added into the  UBC in 1994 as it
has the black mark in the right side of the margin in Section 1604.3.

And you can certainly argue that the 20 in2 area requirement is a real
load, especially if you use a car jack to change the tire.  How you spread
or share this load to adjacent joists or other supports is up to you.  I
have witnessed some heated conversations about this with at least one
building department official.

Neil Moore, S.E.
neil moore and associates

At 08:04 PM 3/27/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>This is in response to Shamir Ghosn and others who respond to my posting.
>
>Am I reading 1607.3.3 correctly ? It says parking garages for storage of
private or pleasure-type motor vehicle with no repair or refueling shall
have a floor system designed for a concentrated load of not less than 2000
lbs acting on an area of 20 sq. inches. 20 sq. inches is only 4.5 in.
square so that all the 2000 lbs will be concentrated solely to one floor
joist. If it says 20 in. square then I would have distributed it to 2.78
sq.ft area as per Shamir suggested. Please respond.

>The garage floor, by the way, will be finished with 3" (ave.) light weight
concrete and sloped to drain toward the entrance of the garage.