Re: Residential Garage (Help!)

Contact APA-The Engineered Wood Assn. (help(--nospam--at)apawood.org) to confirm specs on plywood floor deck for residential garage floors supported on wood joist system.  I believe two layers of 23/32 in. T&G plywood, with end and edge joints offset by one-half panel along length and width, is required for structural floor to meet garage floor loading, and with joists spaced 16 in. o.c. or 12 in. o.c.  For the concrete floor slab, 3 in. regular concrete slab with 6x6 mesh reinforcing at
mid-thickness is required to prevent cracking of slbb.  There is an APA Research Report on this application (APA Report 139, as I recall).  It might be wise to consider specifying preservative-treated plywood (CCA 0.40 pcf for ground contact) to minimize risk of plywood deck decay beneath slab from seepage of water runoff from vehicles during wet weather, or termites.  At least, there should be a layer of #15 or #30 asphalt building paper between slab and plywood deck.  If in an
earthquake zone, some shear interaction between the slab and plywood deck could be achieved with 1x wood shear cleats spaced 16 in. o.c. over the plywood deck, and nailed into the joists.
John Rose (APA-retired)
Tacoma, WA