RE: Residential Garage (Help!)

The 1991 UBC still had concentrated loads, including automobile loads,
distributed over a 2.5-foot square.  The 1993 Accumulative Supplement to the
UBC changed the requirement to a concentrated load in passenger car garages
being distributed over 20 square inches.

The change was proposed by SEAOC [No. 120, Building Standards, Part III,
November-December 1991, pg 86], with the reason given as:

"This revision will make the Building Code concentrated loading distribution
consistent with ANSI standards for concentrated loads for passenger cars.
The lack of a definite surface over which the 2,000-pound load is to be
distributed has created design and plan check problems for many years.  This
change will produce a uniform code application for this design criteria."

Analysis [by ICBO staff]:  None

It should be noted that ANSI/ASCE 7-88, as well as ASCE 7-93, requires for
garages for trucks and buses the concentrated load be, "...maximum *axle*
load on an area of 20 in^2." [Emphasis added.]

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Jim Lutz wrote:

You're right! I should have looked this up. I was thinking about the 2.5 ft
square provision for application of concentrated floor loads in UBC
1607.3.2. I gotta get out of the habit of pulling the trigger before the gun
is out of the holster!