Re: Wood Beam repair

Antonio,

Dave's comment about being sure that the cracks are not checks is important -- it may save you from having your client pay to do something that does not need to be done.

I had a worried client who showed me a "cracked" beam, and wanted it fixed.  A close look at the old beam  revealed that original paint was in the crack [along with accumulated dust and other debris] -- the crack had been there for a very long time.  It was a natural characteristic of the timber, and no amount of bolting and gluing would have structurally improved it.

Before deciding how to fix the crack, figure out what caused it, and whether it represents a weakening of the member.  If it is a currently acting cause,  be sure that the cause is corrected.  If the strength is not impaired, a structural repair is not needed.

The holes needed by bolts may weaken the member -- consider clamping plates with bolts on the outside of the beam.

ASTM D2559 is the standard for wood-compatible adhesives -- Bruce Pooley posted a list of manufacturers for ASTM D2559 on May 16, 2001.  You should be able to find it in the seaint archives.

Also check out Gorilla Glue www.gorillaglue.com.  It has no ICBO approvals and is not ASTM D2559 compliant, but seems to be highly esteemed among the workers who do wood repairs.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA