Re: Standard Practice?

The contractor is always responsible for non-compliant work. Engineers and architects are not responsible for solving the contractor's errors. In fact, you may take on liability that you don't want. Tell the contractor to propose and fix and you can take no exception to that. This way the contractor can not submit a PCO for the work. I've seen contractor's claim that a fix proposed by an engineer is costly and that they should be reimbursed ?!? Plus, the contractor's are better suited to propose fixes since they know what material is available (e.g. if you ask for a TS4x4, contractor's will say "geez, that's going to take 2 years for me to find one of those, you ask for too much!"). If you try and fix their problems you may impact their schedule. Don't let it stress you out, simply tell the contractor that you will not sign the occupancy permit letter at the end of the project (i.e. they won't get paid for their work). I've worked with some of the most deceitful contractors and I know it's frustrating. Stick to the design, don't try and be buddies, and document everything.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2002 9:09 AM
Subject: Standard Practice?

I've only worked in one architectural/engineering company so far in my short career as a structural EIT.  My question relates to how other offices deal w/ field problems, how the code of standard practice tell us to handle problems, and what the correct path for resolution of any field problems is.

For this hypothetical situation, who's responsible for what etc. etc.

The hypothetical situation:  Several non-code compliant erection deficiencies are found by the General Contractors inspector.  For example; less then SJI specified joist bearings, a WT added to the bottom of a roof beam to make up for bearing plate installed to low, short anchor bolts...

Who is responsible when the contractor doesn't meet the projects specifications?
Is the Engineer/Architect responsible to come up w/ a fix?
Is it up to the Contractor and his subs to find a solution?
What happens if the GC continues w/ construction when he knows that there are noncompliant situations that he is covering up?
How do you deal w/ the frustrations?
Aren't the codes (ASCE, AISC, SJI) Law?
Am i being whiny little baby?  Should i just shut up?
Why can't we all just get along?

Thanks.

Alden Manipula, EIT