From: Alden Manipula, E.I.T. [mailto:amanipula(--nospam--at)novagroupinc.net]
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2002 9:10 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Standard Practice?

I've only worked in one architectural/engineering company so far in my short career as a structural EIT.  My question relates to how other offices deal w/ field problems, how the code of standard practice tell us to handle problems, and what the correct path for resolution of any field problems is.

For this hypothetical situation, who's responsible for what etc. etc.

The hypothetical situation:  Several non-code compliant erection deficiencies are found by the General Contractors inspector.  For example; less then SJI specified joist bearings, a WT added to the bottom of a roof beam to make up for bearing plate installed to low, short anchor bolts...

Who is responsible when the contractor doesn't meet the projects specifications?
Is the Engineer/Architect responsible to come up w/ a fix?
Is it up to the Contractor and his subs to find a solution?
What happens if the GC continues w/ construction when he knows that there are noncompliant situations that he is covering up?
How do you deal w/ the frustrations?
Aren't the codes (ASCE, AISC, SJI) Law?
Am i being whiny little baby?  Should i just shut up?
Why can't we all just get along?

Thanks.

Alden Manipula, EIT