Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Water reservoir - joints, wall ties, and alternate pours

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Ibrahim, thanks for the continued comments.  The reason for my searching
for the water-stop ties is so that when I specify them, I will know what
they look like.  It helps in the relationship with the future contractor
if I look like I know what I'm talking about. ;-)

Actually, it would be a lot simpler if I used a common wall between
tanks.  180' without an expansion joint is feasible, as you say.  I have
no prior experience in this, and I don?t want leaky cracks to form, so I
thought it would be certainly safer to use separate 60' tanks.

As for the concrete mix, I like your idea of a retarder.  I was thinking
about a super-plasticizer to maximise workability without high water
content.  A retarder would control the heat gain, and therefore the
initial thermal expansion??? Is that why you would use it?

I will also contact the local concrete suppliers to see what mixes they
have for this.  Good idea.


From: "Ib sa" <ieseng(--nospam--at)>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)>
Subject: Re: Water reservoir - joints, wall ties, and alternate pours
Kevin, =20
I know that these kind of snap ties are used in elevated pools. There
are the same standard snap ties except they add to them the water
A good shell contractor should know that a water stopper should be
required when used in your application.
Try Medow Burke they are in Tampa the Tel, # is 1-800-282-7213. Just for

curiosity why are you concern about where to get them. It is the G.C.'s
if you specify it in the specs.
About the bond breaker, what I was thinking if you must use separate
structures you might as well seperate them. From my experience an
expansion joint is required every 200 feet in a structure. In your case
you will be pouring 180' of concrete walls, the biggest concern is the
shrinkage which take place up to 90 days before it level off. I would
use a cocncrete mix with a retarder. You might want consult with your
local conc. mixing companies to see if they have any special mixes for
this type of use.

Please let me know what you decide to use. I know I am not been much of
a help but it is good to throw in ideas.


Kevin Below
Génécor inc., experts-conseils

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
*   site at:
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********