OSB panel question

Kipp,

Wood panels in walls can be installed either horizontally or vertically.
Since joints have to be blocked, most contractors elect to install them
vertically.  (A little sketch of an 8-ft wall with the panels installed
horizontally shows the tremendous amount of blocking required.)

The latest issue of "Wood Design Focus" describes tests on unblocked walls.
Photographs show a tremendous amount of movement at the joints.

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Kipp Martin wrote:

. > I haven't done much wood design in the last 10 years, so I'm a little
. > rusty on a few things.  My church is having a new preschool built, and I
. > took a look at the construction over the weekend.  It is basically a
. > large house like structure of approximately 3000 sq. ft. with 2x6 stud
. > walls and OSB sheathing on the walls. The OSB panels are standard 4' X 8'
. > panels, 7/16" thick. There is a mark on one side that says something like
. > "Strength Axis" and has arrows pointing down the long direction of the
. > panel. Now I remember that the strong direction of most plywood panels is
. > in the long direction and that is why we always detailed roofs and walls
. > with the long direction of the panel perpendicular to the joists and
. > studs. The panels on my church's building have been installed with the
. > long dimension vertical, parallel to the studs. Other than that, the
. > workmanship is excellent. The framing is square and well connected. The
. > seismic holdowns are properly installed, and the OSB panels are properly
. > nailed. Does having the weak axis of the panels span between the studs
. > significantly weaken the wall? Does it decrease the shear capacity of the
. > shear walls? I'm going to take a look at the drawings first chance I get,
. > but I wanted to get the list's opinions.