RE: Historic Steel Shapes

Christopher,

This link has many resources:
http://www.davistownmuseum.org/bibTool_Iron.html

I doubt that much building steel or iron was imported from Europe.  The only
steel that was widely imported from Europe were the Bessemer steel rails for
the railroad from the 1860's until Carnegie came on line with his Bessemer
plant in the 1870's.  Most buildings and bridges using metal were
constructed from iron until the early 1900's.

I doubt that you will find any standards back in the early days especially
for building iron and steel.  The Eads bridge was constructed with iron and
steel in the 1860's and 1870's, and the steel spec. was a performance
specification.  They manufactured shapes, tested them, and repeated the
process until they got it right.

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague