Steel Beam - Sudden Change in Section Properties

Title: Steel Beam - Sudden Change in Section Properties

I have a situation where an S12 & S18 have been welded together to make a continuous beam running over another beam which serves as the support point.  Webs are suitably aligned and the welding is a fillet along each side of the bottom flange of the S12 (and it looks as though the rest of the welding is full-pen).  I know this is obviously a place of stress-rise.  I would think that I need to make sure the bottom flange of the S12 has been carried back into the S18  as suitable distance.  This would ensure transfer of the tensile force from the S12 flange into the S18 as web shear.  Does anyone have a reference they can point me to that addresses this situation or have any advice / personal experience to share ?

Below is a crude graphic of the situation…….

      S18        |     S12

  =====

  =====

Thanks