RE: Single plate shear connection- Min thickness

>LRFD-AISC 3rd Edition page 10-113 gives a
>formula for the min thickness of shear plates
>which does not seem to be correct.

This is an oldie at this point, but a late response is probably better than
none at all. Sorry for the delay -- it got way down in my inbox. In case you
don't already have the answer....

As you noted, thr printed equation makes no sense. Somehow in the transition
from the typeset page to the printed page, the "EDI" botched. The equation
should read:

    t_sub_p min = (L * sqrt Fy)/(234 K) >= 1/4 in.

This is derived from the coped beam buckling equation on page 9-9 with
lambda set equal to 0.7 (for Q=1, which means yielding occurs before
buckling), h_sub_o = L and t_sub_w = t_sub_p.

Thanks for pointing this out. We will include it in the errata list.

Charlie