Re: Existing RC beam Strengthening

You may want to use a little caution when using carbon fiber reinforcement
to reinforce/retrofit a concrete member.  I have heard a number of times
that a major concern with carbon fiber wraps is fire resistence.  The
carbon fiber reinforcement does not do well when heated during a fire, as
I understand it.  As a result, I believe that the consensus is that using
carbon fiber reinforcement in buildings is still not ready for
"primetime".  I do know that it is becoming more prevelent to reinforce
bridges.  I could be a little out of times on the use of it in buildings,
but I have not heard anything at would suggest that.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI