Re: Building Natural Frequency

>I am curious how everybody comes up with the natural frequency of a
>building.
Typically you assume the structure is a simple (SDOF) system with masses
lumped at floor levels and the stiffness is the lateral stiffness of the
structural framing. You end up with as many degrees of freedom as
stories. You can do a manual solution of a 3-5 DOF system with a
spreadsheet or even by hand if you want.

There's a good book on the topic called 'Structural Dynamics for the
Practising Engineer,' by H. M. Irvine. I found mine at a second-hand
bookstore for less than $10. It's really a great book, with plenty of
insight without losing track of the fundamentals.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw