From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Friday, July 05, 2002 6:35 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: Drop Panels

Scott,

Let my expand/correct myself a little...of course there needs to be
reinforcement steel in the area of the drop panel.  This would be the slab
flexural steel (and possibly shear steel, but that is a whole other ball
of wax) that would required whether there is a drop panel or not.  This
would include the typical negative moment steel due to flexural strength
issues, continuity steel for both top and bottom steel, etc.

My point was that typically drop panels are added to increase the
resistance to punching shear.  The drop panels are typically used to
increase the concrete (Vc) resistance in shear if the "base" slab
thickness is not sufficient to provide adequate punching shear resistance.
In this type of scenario, then additional steel (other than what is
already required for the "base" slab itself) is not required.

Now, there are also provisions to add shear reinforcement to slabs to help
prevent punching slab failures.  This shear reinforcement can take the
form of stud rails, reinforcement bars, and shearheads.  This type of
solution is not typically used in low seismic zone since it is typically
more cost efficient to either thicken the whole slab or add drop panels.
Shear reinforcement _IS_ used in higher seismic zones, especially after
the Northridge quake.  There were several buildings in LA that were made
of cast-in-place two-way slabs with perimeter moment frames.  The thought
was that the moment frames would take all the lateral load and the rest of
the two-way slabs would "go along for the ride".  The problem was that the
additional moment at the two-way slab columns that arose due to the quake
did cause some punching shear failure of the slabs at some columns.  This
was largely due to the drift that the building was required to sustain.
This discovery has added to impetious to research and produce procedures
for providing shear reinforcement for a more ductile punching shear
response in two-way slabs.  Some this is being put into recommendations by
ACI committee 421 as well as ACI committee 352.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI