From: Ron Hill [mailto:ronhill(--nospam--at)hillce.com]
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2002 3:22 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Building Natural Frequency

---------------------------------
>I am curious how everybody comes up with the natural frequency of a
building.
>Does everybody have to input every building into a structural software
>package to get this? All of the new codes I have seen require frequency in
>order to calculate wind and seismic loads.
-----------------------------------

For tall (multi story ) structures I use a software program.  For one story
where the roof loads are normal, I use simple formulas.

Where is the natural frequency required for building wind loads???  I have
determined frequencies for stack design and vortex shedding but never for
building designs.

Ronald Hill, P.E.
HILL Consulting Engineering
PO BOX 26525