Re: unbalanced snow load

The applicable code would be the code that had been adopted by the local
jurisdiction.  Thus, if the local jurisdiction has adopted the 2000 IBC
code, which references/uses ASCE 7-98, then you would _have_ to use the
ASCE 7-98 provisions.  If, however, the local jurisdiction has adopted the
1997 UBC, then you would _HAVE_ to use the provisions contained in the
1997 UBC code (note: I believe that the 1997 UBC does give the option of
using ASCE 7-95 instead of what is contained in the UBC...I know this is
true for wind loads, but can't recall if it is also true for snow loads
since I live in non-UBC "country").  Thus, in reality, even though there
appears to be a conflict, there is NOT since a single jurisdiction will
not likely have adopted both the 1997 UBC _AND_ ASCE 7-98 (or if they did,
then someone in that jurisdiction should have amended something to resolve
the conflict).

Having said all that, it appears from the commentary of ASCE 7-98 that
they since "learned" some new "stuff" about snow loading.  As a result, it
_might_ be advisable to use the ASCE 7-98 provisions (assuming that they
are more "severe" then the legally adopted provisions for that
jurisdiction).

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI