RE: Drop Panels

At 12:44 AM 9/07/02 -0400, you wrote:
Scott

Part of my point (which was not well articulated) is that many times the
additional punching shear stresses due to the lateral drift/moment
transfer have still be traditionally handled by just providing additional
concrete depth either just near the column (as in a drop panel) or through
out the slab.  As a result, traditionally the inclusion of drop panels
_does not_ change the reinforcement in the slab from what it would be
_without_ the drop panels.  Typically, the drop panels have only been
added to increase the Vc component that resists the punching shear.

I think we need to clarify the definition of Drop Panel with regard to your last sentence in this paragraph.

A true Drop Panel extends minimum Span/6 in each direction from the column and is used for flexural reinforcement calculations as well as punching shear calculations. It does reduce the amount of top reinforcement required at a column.

Anything smaller than this cannot be used for flexure calculations and should be called a Drop Cap. These are added to increase Vc only. In USA practice these are normally about 4' square centered on the column.

Regards  Gil Brock
Prestressed Concrete Design Consultants Pty. Ltd. (ABN 99003351504)
Ph +61 7 3807 8022              Fax +61 7 3807 8422
email:          gil(--nospam--at)raptsoftware.com
email:          sales(--nospam--at)raptsoftware.com
email:          support(--nospam--at)raptsoftware.com
webpage:        http://www.raptsoftware.com