RE: Pre-Engineered Metal Building Foundation - Ballpark Design

Title: RE: Pre-Engineered Metal Building Foundation - Ballpark Design

I see that quite a bit.  Although, I typically input the building into a
software program and get reactions myself, then go ahead with the design anyway.
More often than not, when I finally get the reactions, what I have assumed is
conservative.  Most contractors work with only one metal building manufacturer,
and anchor bolt configurations can be guessed at using their manufacturing company's
literature.  I can get a fairly good estimate of base plate and needed pier size
based on the reactions I determined.  I run into problems when the building comes
from the building manufacturer with bracing or some other configuration changes.

The owner/developer/contractor issues are typical also.  They think that
the structural design is "cookbook" as you said, unless they have been
educated on previous projects.  I recently had an owner come to me and tell
me he just became a rep for some metal building manufacturer but he had know idea
what was involved in getting foundation designs or building permits.  Everybody
thinks it is quite a bit easier than it actually is.

Zachary Goswick, P.E.
Structural Engineer
Angus-Young Associates, Inc.
555 South River Street