RE: Composite OWSJ's

They are in their own catalogue and marked "VC" and "VLH" joists.  I have
used them on their own, not as composite.  They are great when you have high
uniform loads which lead to high shear values.  I used them on a roof with
SL > 200 psf.

They can have a significant cost savings as composite as well.  They are
cheaper per pound than rolled steel and typically are lighter.  Can also
help with mechanical systems and floor to floor issues (run the mechanical
through the joist - hard to do with rolled steel).  We recommended (on a
peer review job) they be used for a new high school instead of rolled steel,
saved the owner over $50k.

Vulcraft is a little irritated that people aren't using them more often.
Seems like a good solution for composite floors to me.

I have two issued though, increased floor vibration due to the drop in
inertia and mass, and relative cost of composite vs. non-composite.
Sometimes the increased cost for shearstuds does not offset the decreased
steel costs.

Hope that helps,

Jake Watson, P.E.
Salt Lake City, UT