RE: Pre-Engineered Metal Building Foundation - Ballpark Design

Bill,

Some local agencies require a full design in order to get a permit.  With
this requirement, we have designed a complete steel building (that is never
going to get built) keeping in mind how metal building are put together.  We
then specify a note on the drawings that an alternative building may be used
with a required design and performance spec.  For the foundation footing
loads, we specify the max load each footing can resist in a table format.
These loads will typically be more conservative than what the metal building
guys will give you.

When you get the shop drawings from the metal building designers, you can
back check the metal building loads with your loads that you have specified
on your foundation plan.

Marlou B. Rodriguez PE.
Biggs Cardosa Associates Inc.
Structural Engineers
1871 The Alameda, Suite 200
San Jose, California 95126
408-296-5515 Fax 408-296-8114
http://www.biggscardosa.com

Note:  The opinions that I write are my opinions and
are not necessarily the opinions of BCA or projects
associated with BCA.