IBC Chapter 18

Section 1802.2.7 of the IBC seems to require a soils report for any structure in seismic design category D,E, or F.  We have a building department for which we do plan reviews.  They are enforcing this provision and requiring a soils report for every structure.  They have called us and asked if this is accurate.  This section seems to be overkill, has anyone else encountered this?  Does anyone know why this section is written differently than NEHRP/FEMA 302?  There does not seem to be a similar provision in the IRC.

Respectfully,

Jake Watson, P.E.
Salt Lake City, UT