Re: Bidding of Engineering Services

I just saw this flash by my screen.  Please don't laugh at me for responding
so late, I just heard last week that: "The British are coming!  The British
are coming!"

I do echo other responses however, as to how nausiating this concept seems.
I have never heard of it, and I never want to hear of it again.

Just about all of our projects now are simply billed on an hourly basis.  I
am not here to give prospective clients a quote so they can shop me around
until they find the best price.  If a client wants to retain us because they
are comfortable with our qualifications and with us personally then
wonderful.  If not, I understand.  What seems very unfair, and outright
degrading is that we have to be thrown into this "lion's pit" to fight it
out amongst ourselves (engineers) to see which one of us can buy this "black
box".  If it works out... we break even.  If it doesn't... we loose our
shirt.  My doctor charges me for services performed; as does my accountant;
as does my attorney.  We are the only ones who agree ahead of time on a fee
for a bunch of work that is to come, we are not even real clear on what that
may be, and it is a dog fight if we try to get additional money due to
unforseen work that came up.

Jeff Coronado, Principal
Jeff Coronado Structural Engineering Consultants
553 St Malo Street
West Covina, CA  91790
626-472-0070
626-472-0071 Fax