Re: Drop Panels

Davin,

With information provided (there might be something not readily apparent
without seeing the "whole" picture), I would say that additional bottom
bars strictly in the drop panel would NOT be necessary.  About the only
reason to place some additional bottom bars for the drop panel itself
would be is somehow you were using the column strip of the two-way slab as
a moment frame and you were somehow getting a positive moment at the
column, but since you say that drift is not an issue, this should not be a
worry in your case.

Additionally, if you were (and I don't think that you are) in a situation
where you needed some sort of reinforcement for the punching shear, then
you still likely would not need bottom bars, except as a "holder" for the
stirrups.  This is because the common methods for reinforcing a two-way
for punching shear involve either shearheads, stud rails, or stirrups, NOT
additional longitutinal bars.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI