RE: OMRF (R value)

Scott-

The point I raised was intended to illustrate a deficiency in a procedural
process. I certainly do not need a lecture from you (or anyone else) on what
is prudent design. My issue has absolutely NOTHING to do with engineering,
but more of Quality Assurance/Quality Control practice in an engineering
office as well as making Risk Management decisions.

Yes, the code represents MINIMUM standards. That should also be the legal
bar we need to meet. Is there rational justification to exceed these
minimums? OF COURSE!

I also was expressing some exasperation in the fact that we used to be able
to live on a 3 year code cycle. At least in CA, that is no longer the case.

Both Charlie Carter and Rick Drake make very good points that the code is
the official body of text that should be followed and yes, there ARE
jurisdictions which have adopted (by reference) the Seismic Provisions and
maybe even Supplement No. 1. But I don't think anyone has adopted Supplement
No. 2 (I could be wrong - so shoot me). Something to think about for those
of you not familiar with the Southern California landscape: there are OVER
90 BUILDING DEPARTMENTS here! Some have adopted legislation making them
closer to "State of the Art" (whatever that is), others are just happy to
have a PE stamp on a set of plans. Not even that, an architect's stamp will
do (but don't get me started on THAT topic again).

Recall in The Old Days (tm), when we had the 3 year code cycle, several
"State of the Art" documents were submitted to code committees only to have
them fall on the cutting room floor. Why? Well, as politely as I can put it,
maybe they weren't in fact "State of the Art".

To summarize, I intended this topic to be focused on the Code Approval
process, not what is prudent design, where we should go to keep current or
any other derivative. If you want to discuss these items, I suggest you
start a different thread.

Regards,

Bill Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)