Re: retaining wall design

I believe you need to arrange for someone to excavate and determine the
layout of the existing building footings. You should also study the Code
requirements for building next to existing buildings. The owner of the
building may be required to underpin/lower his footings to meet the new
requirements from your project. You may have to building your wall in
short sections while skipping sections which will be constructed in later
stages.

Stan Scholl, PE
Laguna Beach, CA