Masonry Lap Splices

	Hello all,  I have an existing masonry block wall that I am looking
to extend up.  It is a site retaining wall and I would like to extend the
reinforcing up into block that I am extending.  The existing wall is
reinforced with #6 bars at 24" oc.  I have gone to the site and can see the
grouted cores and the bond beam is 3 block courses down.
	I need a lap splice of 36", but with the bond beam 24" down I cannot
get that.  I could used mechanical connectors but then I would need to demo
into the grouted cells to expose the existing rebar, potentially splitting
the block.  My boss suggested that we could put bars into the cores on
either side.  The theory being that two bars lapped 24" is equivalent to one
bar lapped at 36".  Is that a credible idea?  Code only gives lapped, welded
or mechanical connectors.

	TIA
	Roland Bokma
	Structural E.I.T.