>of you not familiar with the Southern
>California landscape: there are OVER
>90 BUILDING DEPARTMENTS here! Some
>have adopted legislation making them
>closer to "State of the Art" (whatever
>that is), others are just happy to
>have a PE stamp on a set of plans.

Bill,

I agree with your sentiments. Consider something: I think we could have a
very efficient code cycle and have everything in it state of the art if
localities big and small recognize that they do not have expertise needed to
rewrite, revise and modify the national standards that get written. Rather,
those localities should actively participate in the national processes that
result in the IBC, NFPA, AISC, ACI, and other documents. That is actually
the intent of the model code process.

The further benefit to that would be that we would not have to master subtle
and needless differences in design requirements when crossing the street
from county to county or town to town.

Charlie