Re: OMRF (R value) (code development process)

Bill,

In many regards I share Dennis' view that technology can allow more
participation.  Where I might diverge some from him is that I believe that
even though chatrooms, email lists, bulletin boards, etc can add to the
effort, I _still_ strongly believe that some face to face meetings are
essential.

I will comment on ACI 318 since I know it the best.  They meet
face-to-face at least two times each year (at ACI conventions) and
sometime three or four times, if necessary.  This actually leaves them to
do a large portion of their work in between meetings.  I know that ACI is
looking into ways to help facilitate the ability to do work outside of
meetings (because I was working on this before I left ACI), but there will
still be face to face meetings.  I know that ACI 318 currently makes use
of email, phone calls, and snail mail to do a lot of "business".  They
will have the ability to do discussion boards soon, if not already.

When I stated that a member of the ACI 318 committee has to be willing to
fully commit to being involved, this included mor than just having to pay
for travel to meetings and live with time off...this also included being
willing to spend a significant portion of their preparing, review, and
critiquing code proposals.

You bright up a possible point regarding travel of someone...having some
individual's travel subsidized by the organizations.  But, you also seem
to grasp the potential problems with that.  As you seem to be aware, ACI
(and other organizations) just don't have the money to fund the travel
expenses of committee members.  In order to do such a thing, ACI (and
others) would have to charge more for the publications and/or member dues,
which would result in more complaints from individuals about the cost of
publications (which is another one of Dennis' issues that he is passionate
about).

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI