RE: OMRF (R value) (code development process)

Scott

As I understand it, a group of experts have already tried and failed to
develop a rational method for determining R factors.

The R factor is a number that you use to divide an arbitrary base shear so
that you can distribute the forces to a building in an arbitrary manner.
These forces are then used to perform a linear  analysis which is then used
to give us an understanding of the inelastic performance of the structure.
Then things get very messy if you try define the performance objectives.

If somebody were to develope an objective methodology for determining an R
factor it would create a three ring circus.  All of the material interests
would be claiming that the criteria was wrong and that such a change would
have a dramatic impact on their interests.  Both the Steel and Concrete
industries are very concerned that their material be considered the most
economical.

I have no expectations that their will be rational R factors in my life
time.

Mark Gilligan