Re: Roof Equipment

Volume 1 of the 1997 UBC Seismic Design Manual has examples of how to determine the forces.  You do take a hit as to loads.  This has sometimes been called a project killer.  Unfortunately, it is my understanding that the forces that you design for are pretty close to real earthquake loads for equipment on top of a building.  If I remember correctly, some roof equipment came loose during the Northridge Earthquake on the Olive View Hospital.

Neil Moore, S.E.